Sunday, June 13, 2010

MAC_Week_2_Reading_Service as Sufficiency


“If we were to design a new voyage to carry us …into the bright realm of possibility, we might want to …aim for the openness and reciprocity of a level playing field—away from a mind-set of scarcity and deficiency and toward an attitude of wholeness and sufficiency”(Zander and Zander, 2000, p 90).

As a kid who grew up with security and comfort, in a small suburban town, with both parents who had graduated from an excellent local college and expectations for the same, I was not at all ready for the dire circumstances my young family faced when I became disabled and my husband lost his job after a near fatal car accident. From 1000.00/wk to zero was a major shock in 1990. Yet it began the turning from material to eternal things in my life.

The Zanders’ concepts of possibilities and openness strike a chord of familiarity as I remember the sense of awe with which I looked back upon that time of testing when we learned what REALLY mattered. Food, freedom to pray, a roof over our heads, and the love for each other got us through some very difficult days. Where we had once ignored those in need around us, I walked in their shoes, and no longer claimed to be untouched by poverty and want. It was good for me. And God used me in a powerful way, to bring healing and wholeness to others who became victims of what we went through in the years ahead.

The level playing field of having nothing is probably not what the Zanders had in mind, but that is what it took for me to recognize that my life was not my own. All I can do and all that I have comes from God. I am whole because of my understanding of Him. He is my sufficiency. And His way is one of loving my neighbors and humbling myself to serve them. This is the better way, contributing and offering to serve others. Today, as an educator focused upon the good of my students and their future, the possibilities for sharing an attitude of wholeness and sufficiency abound. At 56 years old, I am one of the youngest old ladies my students know. I get to bridge the generations thanks to all that we are learning at Full Sail.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Lynne... God Bless you and your family!!! I know what you are talking about when you mentioned "bridging the gap". I too feel that "WE" are going to be the chosen ones who will reach out and offer a change for the young learners of today. I know that we will be met with disdain and rejection but we will have to forge on and know that ultimately we have what is best in mind for our students and the Digital Native generation. I know what you mean when you say that change is a hard and powerful thing. My family too had to go from having two incomes to only having one income. My husband used to own his own business but when the economy went belly up so did his business. When I approached my husband about going back for my Master's, he thought that I had lost my mind given our financial burdens at that time. I convinced him that this would be a financially sound move for us because I would be receiving Master's pay in the end. Well, things are not working out exactly like they should have!! My state is freezing the pay raises, which include Masters level degrees. Additionally, since Full Sail is not SACS accredited, it is still uncertain whether or not I will ultimately be recognized for having finished this fabulous program. Either way, the knowledge and eye opening experience that I ahve accrued is immeasurable. I feel certain that with perseverance, my state will come around and things will be "coming up rosey" again!!

    ReplyDelete