Sunday, June 27, 2010

Koles_Lynne_Week 4 Reading_TheTimingofReadingThisBook


Zander discusses the need for possibility thinking throughout this book, and these concluding chapters have pounded home a very significant change in thinking to make this happen. Imagining the world as a collective of equals in order to consider all of us as the WE, gives new meaning to possibilities. From the training I received in sales, "make them want what you have," is the antithesis of being about what is best for the collective "We." Yet in education, autonomous authoritarian models of teaching have given way to empowering, guiding, facilitators. This paradigm shift fits perfectly with Zander's point that we must consider the others within our realm as equal and even greater than ourselves. this book should be required reading for all who strive to teach our next generation, because it is what dries them to excellence, to be valued and encouraged to participate in directing and creating their learning.

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree that more people need to read this book. Any supervisor, teacher, scout master or CEO needs to read it and understand the art of possibility. I remember taking a salesmanship course when I was a business major. I had a good teacher who was honest and taught us to inform and uplift people, yet so many of my experiences with salespeople have left me feeling manipulated and/or disappointed. Good sales reps could also benefit from Zander's book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment @ Lynne Koles

    I truly enjoyed reading this book much like yourself and wish others success with it in the future. You point out the WE factor. Considering others as equal or greater than ourselves can sometimes make them feel more comfortable. I think in anything life, we should strive for a healthy balance, but I do believe that when one takes off the higher positioned hats so to speak, it welcomes an incredible environment for possibility.

    ReplyDelete